NO… I gather up all the neighbor kids and go shopping... (I need this t-shirt!)
Seriously! Don’t you just love that? It’s one of the most obnoxious things people say to me. It happens on a regular basis. It’s pretty funny when I only have 4 with me… depending on my mood I may say, “Yes!! And I have 2 more at home!” Shock and awe.
I’ll share one of my favorite stories.
So we had just had our 4th child. He was around a week old. I had all 4 children out for the first time after Boy3’s birth. I went to the grocery… Ingles to be exact. I had a “super-cart” and we were ready to go. They are holding the sides of the cart, walking patiently and sweetly as I shop. It couldn’t have been going more smoothly. I’m walking down by the pickles and this lady stops, stares, gawks, and says in a disgusted tone, “Are ALL those kids yours!?” Ugh. I smile a fake sort of smile and say, “Yes… they are :)” To which she replies, “Do they ALL have the same dad?” I was shocked. So shocked I could only say, “Yes.” As if that wasn’t enough, she points to Boy2 (by the way, he was nearly a white-blonde at the time and we all have dark hair) and says, “Even that one?”… “Yes, Ma’am… EVEN that one.” Really!? Really!!!! I was fighting back tears at that point. I went home, unloaded groceries and called my Mom. She told me I should have said, “Yes, they all have the same dad but we’re not sure about the mom.” Wish I would have had the where-with-all to have said that… haha!
So for all the parents of large families, here are a few things we secretly (or not so much so) dislike:
- Do you know what causes that?
- Are you having any more?
- You’re finished… right?
- You’re hands are full!
- I couldn’t have that many kids!
- How do you spend equal time with all of your kids
- How will you pay for college?
- I’m glad it’s you and not me
- How do you do it all
Feel free to add on your favorite comments!
My favorite answers (some of which I’ve not been brave enough to use)
- We’ve got it narrowed down to 2 things…
- These are all the biological children we will have
- Yes, my hands are full… but it beats the alternative
- I couldn’t have this many kids if they acted like your kids (One day, they will catch me in a foul mood, and I’ll use this one)
- I don’t spend equal time with every kid, every day..
- I have NO intention on paying for college…
- I’m glad it’s me and not you too 🙂
- I just don’t do it as well as you
I recently heard a dad of 10 or so on a radio broadcast and his response to the “How many kids do you have” question. I am going to steal his answer…. he and his wife say, “We only have 10.” It kind of changes the tone doesn’t it?
So you ask… how many children do I have?….. “I only have 6.”
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
(Psalms 127:3-5 ESV)